1. NEWS: Marking a progression in its HIV landscape, Vietnam chooses a civil society PR
The Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations’ “promotion” from sub-recipient to Vietnam’s first ever civil society principal recipient will allow the union to continue to strengthen the contribution of civil society organizations to the fight against HIV.
2. NEWS: Civil society calls on the Global Fund to aim higher for the 2017-2019 replenishment
The Global Fund Advocates Network presented the Global Fund with a letter signed by 270 civil society organizations urging the Fund to be more ambitious in its replenishment targets. This comes at a time when Australia and Denmark have announced cutbacks in development assistance.
3. NEWS: Upcoming human rights grant will tackle barriers to access in Africa
A regional concept note submitted jointly by the AIDS and Rights Alliance for Southern Africa (ARASA) and Enda Santé has been invited to proceed to grant making. The proposed program focuses on removing legal barriers to accessing services.
4. NEWS: OIG investigation reveals irregularities in the operations of an SR in an HIV grant to Timor-Leste
An investigation by the Office of the Inspector General has found evidence of non-competitive tenders by a sub-recipient of an HIV grant to Timor-Leste totaling $152,626, a portion of which the OIG attributed to fraud, overpricing and non-delivery of items.
5. NEWS: OIG audit in South Sudan raises questions about managing grants in difficult operating environments
An audit conducted in 2015 by the Office of the Inspector General of grants to South Sudan identified weaknesses in managing programs and health services and products, and in governance and oversight.
6. NEWS: Global Fund Board and committees will be evaluated annually
The Governance Performance Assessment Framework adopted by the Board calls for annual assessments of the performance and effectiveness of the Board and its committees. Stakeholders and external parties will be involved in the evaluations.
7. NEWS: GIZ issues call for proposals in three areas: CCMs, HSS and grant management
GIZ launches a new round of funding with a focus, this time around, on three thematic areas.
8. NEWS: Aidspan releases report on external review of its role as watchdog
An external review of Aidspan’s role as watchdog of the Global Fund has been conducted, based on interviews with external stakeholders and Aidspan board and staff.
9. NEWS: Regional TB/HIV concept note in the EECA region will propose the use of “city service models”
Alliance Ukraine will submit a regional TB/HIV concept note in 2016 which will focus on providing services to key affected populations in Eastern Europe and Central Asia using a “city service model” developed in Western Europe.
10. NOTICE: Tables on approved funding in article in GFO #271
This notice concerns the possibility that some subscribers to the GFO #271 newsletter were linked to a version of an article on funding approvals that erroneously provided the same table twice instead of providing two separate tables.
11. ANNOUNCEMENT: Communities delegation is recruiting some new members
The Communities Delegation is to the Global Fund Board is looking for candidates to join the delegation.
This is issue 273 of the GLOBAL FUND OBSERVER (GFO) Newsletter.
Please send all suggestions for news items, commentaries or any other feedback
to David Garmaise, GFO Editor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To subscribe to GFO, go to www.aidspan.org.
GFO Newsletter is a free and independent source of news, analysis and commentary
about the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria (www.theglobalfund.org).
Aidspan (www.aidspan.org) is a Kenya-based international NGO that serves as an
independent watchdog of the Global Fund, aiming to benefit all countries wishing
to obtain and make effective use of Global Fund resources.
Aidspan finances its work through grants from foundations and bilateral donors.
Aidspan does not accept Global Fund money, perform paid consulting work, or
charge for any of its products.
GFO Newsletter is now available in English and French. Articles are also available in Russian.
Reproduction of articles in the newsletter is permitted if the following is stated: "Reproduced from the Global Fund Observer Newsletter, a service of Aidspan."
Click here to unsubscribe.
GFO archives are available here.
Copyright (c) 2015 Aidspan. All rights reserved.