Guidelines Published on Integrating Sexual and Reproductive Health Services into Round 7 Proposals
A group of NGOs has published guidelines on integrating the provision of sexual and reproductive health services into Global Fund Round 7 HIV/AIDS proposals.
The guidelines, jointly developed by Global AIDS Alliance (GAA), Advocates for Youth (AFY), Interact Worldwide, International HIV/AIDS Alliance, International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF), and Population Action International (PAI), are available at www.globalaidsalliance.org/docs/SRH-HIV_Proposal_Guidelines.cfm. The full title is Guidelines for Integrating Sexual and Reproductive Health into the HIV/AIDS Component of Country Coordinated Proposals to be submitted to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, Round 7 and Beyond.
The Global Fund has thus far made few grants that deal with sexual and reproductive health (SRH). The guidelines state, however, that the Fund supports SRH-HIV/AIDS integration efforts and has indicated that SRH-based proposals would be acceptable as long as the impact on HIV and AIDS is clearly demonstrated.
Seven priority areas are identified in the guidelines:
- Integration of sexually-transmitted infection (STI) treatment services at the point of service delivery;
- Integration of voluntary testing and counselling at the point of service delivery;
- Scaling-up of adolescent STI and HIV prevention programs;
- Integration of SRH services for vulnerable populations;
- Prevention of parent-/mother-to-child HIV transmission (PMCTC+);
- Provision of antiretroviral therapy and comprehensive care for people living with HIV; and
- Combating gender-based violence.